Sunday, May 1, 2016

Color & Music: Violin Study - A Four-in-Art Quilt

 It's Reveal Day for Four-in-Art.
Color and Music.
May I present: Violin Study


 I once read a book about Synesthesia, by Oliver Sacks - Seeing colors related to things like numbers, sounds, and yes, music.  I've never experienced it, but I do have a very talented pianist friend who does.  She sees colors related to key signatures.  I thought of that a lot while thinking of ideas for this project.

A violin is quite appropriate to the family, #1, #2 and #4 all can play the violin.  #2 has since switched to the viola (and also plays piano). #3 plays the cello and #5 will more than likely play the violin.  Yep, our goal is the string quartet with accompanist.

 It didn't take me long to figure out what I wanted to do.  This quilt is made of selvages and "quilted as you go".   I had originally thought just the silhouette, but came across a split silhouette and knew it was perfect.  After all, white light is made of all the colors, and I thought this was a striking way to present the idea.
Fortunately for this year, we have rather abandoned the size restrictions, I just didn't think I could do what I wanted on a much smaller scale.  This quilt is about 38" x 54".
 The very perfect backing fabric from IKEA - with a bit of fanciful music.
 Selvages are fun to work with - some Hello Kitties peeking at us.
 And those windmills!  I did have to do some deliberate cutting so I could have enough selvages!
 The edges are covered by (purchased!) bias binding.
 

*Due to the immense amount of interest in this quilt, I have a pattern for how to make it in my Etsy shop*



Please take the time to check out the other quilts in our group, that's what I'll be doing (after church).

https://www.flickr.com/photos/toot2
http://faffling.blogspot.co.nz/
http://www.knottedcotton.com
http://www.opquilt.com
http://www.rainbowhare.com
http://www.patchworkbreeze.blogspot.com
http://www.rachel-thelifeofriley.blogspot.com (ME!)
http://quiltalicious.blogspot.com
http://patchworknplay.blogspot.com
 Our group blog is here: http://fourinart.blogspot.com/









15 comments:

Judy H said...

Love the idea of the binding to cover the edges. Clever you!

Catherine said...

I am really quite envious of this quilt - it's beautiful and so clever!

OPQuilt said...

This is amazing--I am just blown away by the colors, the shape, and your idea! I love your interpretation of the music/color theme and love that it is so personal to your family and the music that comes from so many instruments (I applaud your goal for a string quartet!). I hope that this quilt will hang in a place of honor--perhaps reminding them that their mother loved their music so much she made them a quilt!
So terrific!

Nancy said...

Spectacular. The binding is great, whether purchased or not. And the use of the selvages. My color lesson for today: you reminded me that white is all the colors!

Camilla said...

Love this Rachel! So effective and colourful too with the white silhouette setting everything off! I was wondering if you'd appliquéd the silhouette, I've never seen the raw edges covered with binding before- that makes it so neat!
I'm wondering about quilt as you go -whether you appliquéd after?

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

This is amazing! The split silhouette is such a clever design idea and the selvedges against the white give a stunning effect. I love everything about it :)

Live a Colorful Life said...

I really love this quilt. I began college as a music major---really a touch major and I didn't want to teach nor was I quite good enough to perform. So I abandoned the college major. But music plays such a huge role in my life that I really can't imagine my life without music in it. I always always wanted to play the violin. My mother was a piano teacher and that's what I ended up playing, but to this day I regret not learning a string instrument. So I live vicariously through my grandchildren--#1 plays viola and #2 plays violin. I'm quite happy about that. :)

Regina said...

I LOVE it Rachel!!!! I don't see color with sound but I find the entire concept amazing!!!

Regina said...

I LOVE it Rachel!!!! I don't see color with sound but I find the entire concept amazing!!!

Hilacha (loose strand) said...

beauuuutiful! simple, effective, fun and colourful.

Betty said...

This is the coolest thing ever - I just fell in love with it at first glance (and sorry I haven't commented here, but think I did on the Four-in-Art blog). The white side makes the rest just pop - quite brilliant!

Unknown said...

I am fascinated with this quilt, and I want to do a split silhouette myself, but I haven't been able to get my head around the process, and google has no clue what I'm talking about, lol. Would you mind pointing me to a source that can explain the process? Thank you so much!

Lisa Caron said...

Wow, just beautiful! Would you happen to have written out your details, I would love to try one like this but just need a little help with your cutting and piecing plan.

Susan said...

As another violinist, I fell in love with this quilt when I saw it. Do you have a pattern for it available?

Ujan sharma said...

Good ...মনটা কথা শোনে না লিরিক্স
আমি তোমাকে ভালোবাসি লিরিক্স
ওই ডাকছে আকাশ লিরিক্স
মধুবালা লিরিক্স